“Diagnosis is not the end, but the beginning of practice”
— Martin H. Fischer
The trend enhanced diagnostics describes new diagnostic technologies that transcend conventional methods. Thanks to enhanced diagnostics, symptoms or conditions can be analysed more quickly, easily or better. Enhanced diagnostics applications are distinct from the DIY diagnostics trend, because it is usually applied by the healthcare professional.
Applications & benefits
Applications of enhanced diagnostics vary from simple everyday measurements to complex analyses. They rely on metrics such as vocal biomarkers or fleeting organic components (FOC) in exhaled air [1 4]. The analysis of breath components can be linked to diabetes, asthma and lung cancer, among other things [5-7]. The diagnostic applications of enhanced diagnostics are largely non-invasive and can be faster, more effective and cheaper than conventional methods. In addition, they allow for preventive action to be taken based on simple diagnostics.
The enhanced diagnostics market is on the rise. The global market value of vocal biomarkers is expected to grow to a total of $4.2 billion in 2027. In 2019, the global market value was $1.3 billion. The growth is caused, in part, by the increasing prevalence of psychological conditions and cardiovascular disease . Cost effectiveness is another driver of the market. The example of vocal biomarkers is just one of many. Another example is the increasing global market value of non-invasive cancer diagnostics: this segment is expected to grow by almost 7% between 2021 and 2026 .
Growing evidence of effectiveness
Increasing pressure on the healthcare system
Increased awareness and growing acceptance
Lack of awareness and reluctance among potential users
Limiting guidelines, legislation and regulations
Immaturity of the application
Implementing new diagnostics is difficult. Legislation complicates the process of getting new methods integrated into healthcare standards, guidelines and health insurance coverage. However, the trend is accelerating as a result of the growing acceptance of new diagnostic methods. Plus, the technologies are becoming increasingly smart and precise. And the corona crisis has created a need for quick, simple, cheap and more scalable tests. This had a positive impact on the research area .
Enhanced diagnostics offer a wide range of possibilities and the body of evidence supporting various applications is growing. They promote the evolution of faster and better diagnoses as well as preventive action.
- Spinner, J., Vocal biomarkers enable unique diagnosis, monitoring capabilities, 2021 [Available from https://www.outsourcing-pharma.com/Article/2021/03/02/Vocal-biomarkers-enable-diagnosis-monitoring-capabilities]
- Besko, B., Vocal Biomarkers: New Opportunities in Prevention, 2017
- Global Information, Inc., Global vocal biomarkers market, by therapeutic applications (psychiatric disorders, cardiovascular disorders), end user (hospitals, health insurers, academic institutes, government organizations), and geography – trends, analysis and forecast till 2028, 2017
- Fagherazzi, G., Fischer, A., Ismael, M. & Despotovic, V., Voice for Health: The Use of Vocal Biomarkers from Research to Clinical Practice, 2021 [Available from https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/515346#]
- Lawal, O., et al., Exhaled breath analysis: a review of ‘breath-taking’ methods for off-line analysis, Metabolomics, 2017. 13(10): p. 110.
- Das, S., & Pal, M., Non-Invasive Monitoring of Human Health by Exhaled Breath Analysis: A Comprehensive Review, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2020, 167(3)
- Bos, L.D., P.J. Sterk, and S.J. Fowler, Breathomics in the setting of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2016. 138(4): p. 970-976.
- Coherent Market Insights, Vocal Biomarkers Market, by Therapeutic Application (Psychological Disorders, Respiratory Disorders, and Cardiovascular Disorders), by End User (Hospitals, Health Insurers, Academic & Research Institutions, and Government Organizations), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa) – Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2019 – 2027, 2019 [Available from https://www.coherentmarketinsights.com/market-insight/vocal-bio-markers-market-101]
- Market Data Forecast, Global Non-Invasive Cancer Diagnostics Market Size, Share, Trends, COVID-19 Impact & Growth Analysis Report – Segmented By Therapeutics, Techniques & Region – Industry Forecasts (2021 to 2026), 2021 [Available from https://www.marketdataforecast.com/market-reports/non-invasive-cancer-diagnostics-market]
- Sheridan, C,. COVID-19 spurs wave of innovative diagnostics, Nature Biotechnology, 2020; 28, p. 769-772