“In technology, whatever can be done will be done”
— Andrew S. Grov
The umbrella term advanced therapeutics describes a trend where technological developments are leading to new and/or improved treatment methods. Advanced therapeutics, also known as advanced therapy medicinal products (ATMPs), can be divided into drugs and technological treatment techniques based on genes, tissue or cells. These developments are usually founded on advanced research methods.
Application & benefits
Advanced therapeutics consists of brand-new, successful techniques that take science and technology a step further. The rise of advanced therapeutics has changed the healthcare landscape and the pharmaceutical industry. It also opened new doors for the treatment of various diseases . Developments in advanced therapeutics lead to innovative, (cost) effective therapies and help elevate healthcare quality. These breakthroughs may consist of new genetic techniques as well as stem cell technology, digital therapeutics (remote treatment) and regenerative tissue therapy [2-5]. The Human Digital Twin is yet another application: a computer-based model as a digital copy of an individual that allows for drugs and treatments to be tested in advanced to determine whether they will be effective for that patient. In theory, patient outcomes are improved, side effects avoided and healthcare costs reduced thanks to advanced therapeutics [2-6].
The global market for advanced therapeutics is set to experience strong growth in the years ahead: the market value amounts to $7.9 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow to $21.2 billion in 2028 . The market for primary cell cultures (including for stem cell therapy) is growing rapidly as well [7, 8]. And so is the market for CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, a new way of altering DNA: the market value will increase from $2.1 billion 2021 to $7.4 billion in 2028 .
Growing investments in healthcare technology
Changing healthcare needs
New technological capabilities
A call for evidence
High costs (development, purchase, and maintenance)
Immaturity of the application
Applications of advanced therapeutics demand large investments but promise major improvements in healthcare as well. Gene therapies, for example, fulfil the demand for personalised medicine. Multiple players entered the market and successes have been achieved in previous years, which contributes to the growing popularity of ATMPs . Meanwhile, the trend is being inhibited by a large burden of proof and high investment costs. Still, a lot of (health) benefits are up for grabs once an application works and matches the healthcare demand.
Advanced therapeutics applications will reshape healthcare and offer opportunities for new treatment methods. The first major breakthroughs have been accomplished in e.g. gene therapy and regenerative medicine. Combined with the potential of the techniques, these breakthroughs are taking advanced therapeutics to market at lightning speed . However, it remains important to ensure that new therapies benefit the patient and do not lead to excessively high costs. In the end, these new treatment methods contribute to personalised healthcare.
- Grand View Research, Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Therapy Type (CAR-T, Gene, Cell, Stem Cell Therapy), By Region (North America, Europe, APAC, ROW), And Segment Forecasts, 2021 – 2028, 2020 [Available from: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/advanced-therapy-medicinal-products-market]
- Rachel Haddock SL-G, Nadya Lumelsky, Richard McFarland, Krishnendu Roy, Krishanu Saha, Jiwen Zhang, Claudia Zylberberg,. Manufacturing Cell Therapies: The Paradigm Shift in Health Care of This Century, NAM Perspectives, 2019.
- Houser., A needle-covered patch could help heal damaged hearts, 2018
- Intelligence M., Regenerative Medicine Market Size, Growth, Trends | Forecast (2018-2023), 2018
- Hickman L., This is how digital tools are revolutionising patient care, 2018 [Available from: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/07/use-this-app-twice-daily-how-digital-tools-are-revolutionising-patient-care/]
- Zhan, T., Rindtorff, N., Betge, J., Ebert, M.P. & Boutros, M., CRISPR/Cas9 for cancer research and therapy, Seminars in Cancer Biology. 2019, 55.
- Grand View Research, Regenerative Medicine Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis By Product (Primary Cell-based, Stem & Progenitor Cell-based), By Therapeutic Category (Dermatology, Oncology) And Segment Forecasts, 2019 – 2025, 2019 [Available from: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/regenerative-medicine-market]
- Grand View Research I., Primary Cell Culture Market Worth $5.4 Billion by 2025 | CAGR 10.6%, 2018 [Available from: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/primary-cell-culture-market-worth-5-4-billion-by-2025-cagr-10-6-grand-view-research-inc–832918919.html]
- Grand View Research, CRISPR And Cas Genes Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product & Service (Vector-based Cas, DNA-free Cas), By Application (Biomedical, Agriculture), By End Use, By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2021 – 2028, 2020 [Available from: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/crispr-associated-cas-genes-market]
- Hanna, E., Rémuzat, C., Auquier, P. & Toumi, M., Advanced therapy medicinal products: current and future perspectives, Journal of Market Access & Health Policy, 2016.